Classification / Names
Common names | Synonyms | Catalog of Fishes (gen., sp.) | ITIS | CoL | WoRMS | Cloffa
Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes) > Perciformes
(Perch-likes) > Centrarchidae
Etymology: Micropterus: Greek, mikros = small + Greek,pteron = wing, fin (Ref. 45335); coosae: Specific epithet coosae: of the Coosa (river system) (Ref. 10294). More on authors: Hubbs & Bailey.
Environment: milieu / climate zone / depth range / distribution range
Freshwater; demersal. Temperate; 35°N - 33°N
North America: Savannah, Chattahoochee and Mobile Bay basins in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama in the USA.
Size / Weight / Age
Maturity: Lm ?  range ? - ? cm
Max length : 47.0 cm TL male/unsexed; (Ref. 5723); common length : 25.5 cm TL male/unsexed; (Ref. 12193); max. published weight: 3.7 kg (Ref. 4699); max. reported age: 10 years (Ref. 72462)
Morphology | Morphometrics
soft rays: 10 - 11. A member of Micropterus coosae species group but differs from all other members of the group by having red on the distal one-half of second-dorsal, caudal, and anal fins, and entire length of pectoral-fin rays (vs. green, yellow-green, or orange on smaller portions of fins in other species) and midline row of blotches partial to lacking, typically with 6 or fewer anterior vertical blotches with the remainder too diffuse to recognize as blotches or spots (in 76% of individuals; remaining 24% with midline row of blotches extending total body length, having 10-13 blotches). It further differs from M. tallapoosae and M. chattahoochae by a combination of the following characters: smaller scales (2.6 vs. 2.9% SL); higher scale counts, including lateral-line scales (mode 70 vs. 65 or 66; range 68-73 in 83.8% vs. 61-67 in 77.2%), and scale rows around caudal peduncle (mode = 30 vs. 29; range 30-32 in 80.0% vs. 26-29 in 94.1%). It can be further separated from M. warriorensis by the presence of a tooth patch (vs. absent; from M. tallapoosae, M. warriorensis, M. cahabae, M. chattahoochae, and M. cf. coosae (Savannah River) by a narrower postfrontal width 11.0% SL (vs. 11.2% SL or more); and from M. cahabae by the presence of more pronounced white tips on the caudal fin (Ref. 93229).
Inhabits rocky runs and pools of creeks and small to medium rivers (Ref. 205); also found in upland streams (Ref. 10294). Oviparous (Ref. 205).
Life cycle and mating behavior
Maturity | Reproduction | Spawning | Eggs | Fecundity | Larvae
Breed in shallow ponds, lakes or creeks (Ref. 205). Distinct pairing (Ref. 205). Oviparous (Ref. 205).
Page, L.M. and B.M. Burr, 1991. A field guide to freshwater fishes of North America north of Mexico. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston. 432 p. (Ref. 5723)
IUCN Red List Status (Ref. 120744)
CITES (Ref. 118484)
Threat to humans
ReferencesAquacultureAquaculture profileStrainsGeneticsAllele frequenciesHeritabilityDiseasesProcessingMass conversion
Estimates based on models
Phylogenetic diversity index (Ref. 82805
= 0.5001 [Uniqueness, from 0.5 = low to 2.0 = high].
Bayesian length-weight: a=0.01072 (0.00638 - 0.01801), b=3.05 (2.90 - 3.20), in cm Total Length, based on LWR estimates for this species & (Sub)family-body (Ref. 93245
Trophic Level (Ref. 69278
): 3.6 ±0.5 se; Based on size and trophs of closest relatives
Resilience (Ref. 120179
): Medium, minimum population doubling time 1.4 - 4.4 years (Preliminary K or Fecundity.).
Vulnerability (Ref. 59153
): Moderate to high vulnerability (49 of 100) .